ss_blog_claim=e1f69c2a354bd33c8a82e4ab80349b2e

Wednesday, November 5, 2008

When Black Friday Comes...

Even though London and Maddie usually start their letters to Santa during the month of July and look forward to the big day all year, I've never been one for heading out to the malls and standing in line at the stores at 5 o'clock in the morning on Black Friday to start my holiday shopping, then counting down the number of days until Christmas. Our family actually celebrates Thanksgiving twice, once over at my mom's house with my oldest sister and my nieces, then again on Saturday when Rex does all the cooking for his family. My only responsibility is the baking -- pumpkin pies, pumpkin bread, sometimes a pumpkin bourbon cheesecake -- but on the Friday in between our two Thanksgiving celebration, Rex, London, Maddie and I just want to lounge around the house with nothing on the agenda.

I've actually had good luck over the years saving money by shopping online for most of my Christmas gifts...even online, Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving, has turned into a major sale event.... and you can bet that Roxy prefers to do the shopping while I'm still wearing my jammies, cuddled up with my computer in a nice cozy chair by the fire. I've even found a site that offers email alerts that let me know when new black friday ads have been posted by my favorite stores (like Circuit City deals or Best Buy for electronics, or Toys R Us for the girls) to help me plan my online holiday shopping.

How does your family celebrate Thanksgiving, and that secondary holiday, Black Friday? Do you cook for an extended family, then head out to the mall the next day at 5am, or are you lucky enough to have someone else serve you a turkey with all the trimmings?

No comments: