ss_blog_claim=e1f69c2a354bd33c8a82e4ab80349b2e

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Music Monday: What Is Love? by Howard Jones

Today's Music Monday pick for Roxiticus Best Blogs is from Howard Jones. It's called "What Is Love?" and came out twenty-five years ago, just before I graduated from high school in 1984. I used the following line from the song in my graduation speech:

"And maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be
The door always must be left unlocked."


When this song came on my XM Satellite Radio (Channel 8 for the Eighties) on Wednesday morning as Rex and I were driving in to our office in New York City, I sang along and then shouted out that I'm stuck in the 80's. I knew that I wanted it as one of my Music Monday picks, but I had hoped to find the rest of my graduation speech to post along with it. I know I quoted Howard Jones and Bruce Springsteen, and had an upbeat message for my friends, but did not commit any of it to long-term memory. Unfortunately, 1984 was well before digitization, but somewhere in my basement or my mother's basement, I'm sure I'll find the original typewritten copy... if I stick to my February New Year's resolution to spend an hour a week going through the treasures in my basement, maybe I'll find it in time for my 25th high school reunion this summer and I'll share it with all of you then. In the meantime, enjoy the video... it brings back a lot of memories for me. The 80s were the era of MTV, but my family didn't have cable, so I hadn't seen this video until today.



"I love you whether or not you love me
I love you even if you think that I don't
Sometimes I find you doubt my love for you, but I don't mind
Why should I mind, why should I mind?

Chorus
What is love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway?
What is love anyway, does anybody love anybody anyway?

Can anybody love anyone so much that they will never fear
Never worry never be sad
The answer is they cannot love this much nobody can
This is why I don't mind you doubting

And maybe love is letting people be just what they want to be
The door always must be left unlocked
To love when circumstance may lead someone away from you
And not to spend the time just doubting



Come join Music Monday and share your songs with us. One simple rule, leave ONLY the actual post link here. You can grab this code at LJL Please note these links are STRICTLY for Music Monday participants only. All others will be deleted without prejudice.





2 comments:

A said...

Oh Roxy, I just looove the 80's it's a the greatest music era, ever! :D at least for me... :D I love this one, it's been so long since I last heard this song, it's a great trip down memory lane... :) Thanks for sharing this beautiful song Roxy! :D

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting that. I love Howard Jones. I recently got out an old video tape that I had made of the Live Aid concert that included him performing "Hide and Seek" live. It was great.